Friday, October 12, 2007

Chapter 51

Mind Boggling
By Njeri Mucheru-Oyatta

Chapter 51

I did not go to church and wear my t-shirt last Sunday. Instead, I went to visit my niece at boarding school, which was a nice break. My niece is a lovely girl. She has taught me that the challenges of boarding school can transform a seemingly weak spirit into a determined and confident spirit. Protecting our children from the hardships of life is not a good idea if they are ever to find their passions.

I said that the Bible has the answers to all my questions even which president I should vote for. Well, it also says that God’s word is the same today, tomorrow and always. This is why I apply what I read in the Bible to what is happening today. Even King Solomon said that nothing new happens in this world, everything that is happening today has happened before. I think that is true.

So I have been wondering why it is that when people have been studying the Bible, me included, they read it in a worldly sense and not a spiritual sense. It can only be the same today, tomorrow and always if it is read and applied in a spiritual sense. The person of Moses can exist today in a spiritual sense in the form of Raila Odinga as I have shown. But in a worldy sense, that can NEVER happen.

Previously, I thought that we were all little pieces within the body of God forming his fingers, toes, legs, arms, belly etc. I have changed this perspective and instead adopted a view of God not as a body but as a mind.

If God is a mind, what are the different parts of the mind that can come together to form one? My answer is the qualities that make up one’s personality like Patience, Curiosity, Forgiveness, Hopefulness, Kindness, Belief, Faithfulness, Humility etc. As part of God’s mind, we exist as one of these qualities in a spiritual form. Our bodies are human but our minds are spiritual. In order to understand how our spiritual minds work, God gave us a human body. The visible human body made up of different parts functioning together in harmony helps us gain a better understanding of the invisible mind made up of different qualities functioning together in harmony.

Jesus, is the Son of God. We, are children of God. To me, passion is one common quality that all other qualities cannot survive without. Petroleum is used by a variety of models of cars and without it, those cars are not taking you anywhere no matter how much they cost. So Jesus is our petroleum so to speak. He fuels us. To me, the worldly identity of the Son of God as a human being is Jesus. His spiritual identity is Passion. How else can he exist inside us?

Same applies to me. My worldly identity as a human being is Njeri. What is my spiritual identity? The Bible tells us that we are created in the image of God. So we all have all of God’s qualities in us. But we are not the same, we are equal in different ways. To me this means that each of us has a predominant quality. After making a thorough assessment of the qualities of my mind, I found that I am definitely not forgiveness, or patience, or belief, or humility. I settled on hopefulness because I am able to see a way out of practically any situation no matter how bad. I am a hopeful spirit. What is your spiritual identity?

To me, a spiritual identity is essential in showing you what your purpose in life is. In finding your spiritual identity, you can identify what special gift God has bestowed on you. You can also narrow down on what roles you can fit into in this world of variety. As a hopeful spirit, my purpose is to help people find a way out of seemingly hopeless situations. This must be why I enjoy being a lawyer. I could also have been a psychologist, or a counselor, or a social worker, or a teacher, or a writer, or an inspirational speaker. All these are professions that a hopeful spirit can pursue passionately. Those professions bring out the best in a hopeful spirit. Put me in a mental institution, or a nursing home, or a crowded bar, or a hospital theatre and you’ve killed my spirit! These are places for people of very different spiritual identities from mine.

The other very important thing about finding your spiritual identity is that it helps you realize the weaknesses in your other qualities. I cannot be a hopeful spirit if I do not believe in anything and am an unforgiving, mean, lazy, atheist philosopher!

And finally, I think that the kind of person you are affects the kind of people you attract around you. Without a spiritual identity, you cannot know whether the people you are attracting are bringing out the best or the worst in you. You will be easily swayed or threatened by those who appear to be stronger than you. You should never feel threatened by anyone. We are all just as good as each other. That is why we all die the same way!

How much money we have, where we live, what cars we drive, what clothes we wear, how pretty or beautiful or handsome anyone is, how good a marriage anyone has is totally irrelevant.

You will never discover your spiritual identity if you are not thinking about your life and the choices you are making and your mind is attached to the temporary things of this world.

Find your spiritual identity and work towards attracting the kind of job and the kind of friends that bring out the best in you in your passionate pursuit of your life’s purpose.

No comments: