Thursday, January 31, 2008

Chapter 88

Mind Boggling
By Njeri Mucheru-Oyatta

Chapter 88

The other day, after I wrote chapter 87, I received a mysterious visitor in my office. My receptionist said that he was a new client. I cannot remember who he said had referred him to me, if he had said it.

Anyway, this guy came into my office and introduced himself and gave me his card. He told me that he was an avid reader of my blog and was intrigued by my writing. He had decided that he had to meet me and understand whether I am truly the person I portray myself to be. I told him that getting to know someone is not about an office appointment and I was not sure that I wanted to be his friend.

He said that he did not need to be my friend. He had already devised a method by which to obtain the information he needed in the shortest time possible and with certainty. He then handed me an envelope which he had been carrying with me and asked me to take out the contents.

I almost collapsed when I saw a banker’s cheque drawn in my name for a copious amount of money. A figure I cannot reveal. I can only say that its enough for me to adopt the title millionaire in dollar terms.

With the cheque was a one page printed document and this is what was written on it (Mr. X is the guy):-

THIS AGREEMENT is made this ……………….. day of …………………. Between NJERI MUCHERU-OYATTA of P. O. Box …………….. and Mr. X

IT IS HEREBY AGREED AS FOLLOWS:-

1. Mr. X will pay to Njeri Mucheru-Oyatta a sum of ………………………. receipt of which Njeri Mucheru-Oyatta hereby acknowledges.

2. In consideration for the above payment, Njeri Mucheru-Oyatta hereby undertakes:-

(a) To immediately cease the writing of her book entitled MIND BOGGLING and published at njeri-nm.blogspot.com and to refrain from writing any books at all during her life time.

(b) To immediately abandon her belief in God and cease her quest to know love and to know herself.

(c) Not to ever share her thoughts and feelings about life and the meaning of life with anyone at all during her life time.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF the parties have set their hands hereto the day and year herein before written.

After reading the above document and then looking at the cheque again, I just laughed assuming it was some kind of joke. After I had finished laughing, the man told me that he would give me 7 days to make my decision then he got up and left. He left the cheque with me.

Since then, I have not been able to think about anything else but: should I take the money?! Clearly the guy just wants to know who I am. If I sign, then he knows am a pretender. He probably has no interest in ever enforcing the contract. Which makes me wonder how much money he must be having if he can spend this amount just to satisfy some curiosity!!!!! Maybe if I don’t take the money, there will be much more in store for me than what is on offer now? But what if there isn’t? I will have given up a chance of a lifetime!!!

I know what I should do. How can I let money control my life? Love does not seek its own. Yah right! Maybe the fact that I even have to think about the man’s offer reflects badly on me!!

I need help, NOW!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Your our search is internal so money will not take it away..or solve anything..Don't even consider taking it..

Njeri said...

You're right Aida. Now lets see how my life unfolds after choosing not to take the money.