Saturday, January 5, 2008

Chapter 79

Mind Boggling
By Njeri Mucheru-Oyatta
Chapter 79

Prayer is a powerful thing.

After a long session of prayer and meditation, I was reminded of the letter I had reproduced in chapter 41. The one I received from the guy who advised me to vote for Kibaki so that I can be closer to God. I marveled at how right that guy was. The beginning of Kibaki’s second term in office is probably the most prayerful time for Kenya since independence. We have seen barbaric killings, mindless hooliganism, displacement of thousands from their homes and our freedom of movement has been greatly curtailed. Tomorrow has been dedicated as a prayer day for the country. I have been praying for our country every day and have come to understand the meaning of the words “praying without ceasing”. I pray just before I sleep, I pray when I wake up, I pray when having my meals, I pray when carrying out household chores, I pray while driving, I pray while writing, ……… I am finding myself praying 24/7 just like that guy predicted!

As for Kibaki not knowing what love is, that has been proved without a shadow of a doubt from the time he was sworn into office until now. Despite being the president of all Kenyans, he has not left State House even once to go and visit the devastated parts of the country and join with his citizens in mourning.

I had thought that I cannot accept Kibaki as my president but I have changed my mind on that. I think that Kibaki is the best president any opposition supporter can have. If my faith in the democracy of our country was a glass, Kibaki went and smashed it to smitherines against a brick wall. And that is actually a very good thing for him to have done. I have learnt that being exposed to evil is a good thing. This is because, as I had earlier concluded, attaching ourselves to the things of this world will distract us from finding our purpose in life. But when one is exposed to evil, s/he is repulsed by the world and thus prevented from attaching himself/herself to the things of this world.

I have discovered that I was so attached to the political situation in my country that I had forgotten about finding my missing ‘something’. I was busy analyzing the actions of our politicians and dreaming of a perfect Kenya and what I needed to do to attain it. My goal in life had shifted from being the perfect daughter in God’s eyes to making for myself a perfect home in this world. I am extremely grateful to Kibaki for helping me realize that my destination is not Canaan; it is Heaven. Previously I was imagining that if Kenya became Canaan, I would be at home. I had not realized that Canaan is not Heaven and Heaven is unattainable on earth since everything in this world, good or bad, must come to an end when we die.

That simple prayer I recommended for all Kenyans has reminded me that I cannot change people. Something I seem to have forgotten somewhere along the way. I cannot change Kibaki and his friends and God has granted me the serenity to accept that. I can however change my understanding of their actions and instead of being resentful and angry at what they have done, I have understood the lesson that their actions were meant to reveal to me.

I repeat that everything happens for a reason and I can now confidently add that everything, good or bad, happens for a good reason. Changing my attitude towards Kibaki and his friends was a very difficult task. I was basking in the anger, disappointment, resentment, disgust and all related emotions that their actions had invoked in me. I thoroughly enjoyed all criticism of their actions and revelations of how they reeked of amateurism. God granted me the courage to change my attitude and now, to my surprise, I can actually appreciate the role of Kibaki in my life. I am a little wiser now on how to tell the difference between the things I can and cannot change. God granted me that wisdom. I once saw a sticker with the words: “If you cannot change something, change the way you think about it.” How true!

No-one in Kenya is happy with the situation we are in. The happiness that those who voted for Kibaki expected to feel when he won the election was completely obliterated by the agony and pain of the repercussions.

Let us all endeavour to find ways and means of accepting what has happened, learning from it, helping each other rebuild what has been damaged and getting on with our lives. Love will save the day. Let us try as much as possible to love each other and dismiss all tendencies to judge each other.

Oh God of all creation, bless this our land and nation, justice be our shield and defender, may we dwell in unity, peace and liberty, plenty be found within our borders.

No comments: